Indicator 4.9 – Eastern Middle School - DEMO
Staff development is consistent, comprehensive, and related to practices in the school.
This indicator examines whether your professional development program is consistent with the school improvement plan and whether it is sustained and focused. It also explores whether the activities afford opportunities for collegiality and sufficient time to evaluate their impact on subsequent schools processes (school improvement and student outcomes).
- What evidence is there that your school's professional development program has a clear purpose that is consistent with the school's goals?
- Who has input in decisions about professional development needs?
- Have the staff reflect on the questions above as you begin your work on this indicator.
- Have each person complete the learning environment inventory found at the end of this section. Have individuals, working in small groups, discuss their assessments and identify areas that may need to change. Have small groups share with the entire staff. Solicit input on action steps for improving the school's learning environment.
- Have each person complete the inventory of a learning environment found in the Tool Box. Ask individuals to share their assessments, discuss in small groups of three or four, and identify the areas that may need modification and/or improvement. Have each small group share with the entire group what was identified and debrief the activity. Solicit ideas and recommendations for addressing the issues raised in this activity. After you have completed the learning environment inventory and discussed the related questions, discuss the information as it relates to your efforts toward improving professional development at your school. As a group, identify some action steps for how you will improve the learning environment at your school.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.9
Please indicate how accurately each statement describes your own PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT EXPERIENCES over the past 12 months:
- Q40A: Have been sustained and coherently focused, rather than short-term and unrelated.
- Q40B: Included enough time to think carefully about, try, and evaluate new ideas.
- Q40C: Have been closely connected to my school's improvement plan.
- Q40D: Included opportunities to work productively with other staff in my school.