indicator 4.7 – Eastern Middle School - DEMO
Staff development opportunities are pursued through organized professional development activities within and outside the school.
This indicator examines the number of times in the last year that teachers have received professional development from a professional organization.
- What professional organizations are available to you? Do they offer professional development opportunities?
- If opportunities are not available, what can the staff do to make them available? If opportunities are available but unused, explore why this is the case.
- Work with your local affiliate to make connections outside the school. Arrange visits to other schools that are engaged in reform and restructuring to broaden you perspectives and become energized. Consider attendance at NEA conferences, partnerships with higher education institutions, and involvement in businesses as additional avenues for growth and development.
This indicator is related to the School culture and organization nourishing a culture of reflection and collaborative inquiry section of the Next Steps resources.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.7
During the past 12 months, how often did you:
- Q38A: Participate in workshops or courses sponsored by your DISTRICT (excluding required in-services)?
- Q38B: Participate in professional development activities organized by your SCHOOL?
- Q38C: Participate in a network with others outside your school?
- Q38D: Participate in professional development activities sponsored by an educational employees' union or association?
- Q38E: Discuss curriculum and instruction matters with an outside professional group or organization?