Indicator 4.2 – Eastern Middle School - DEMO
School administrators and staff work together to provide relevant professional development experiences.
This indicator measures the level of cooperation in your school on producing a meaningful professional development process. This indicator is closely related to indicators 2.1 and 2.3 and can help a school team assess how school staff and administrators work cooperatively to plan, develop, and share professional development activities.
- What evidence is there that teachers, school administrators, central administrators, education support professionals, and parents work together to create meaningful professional development?
- What changes in current working relationships are needed to develop a meaningful professional development program?
- Use the questions above as the basis of a staff discussion on possible reasons for your results on this indicator. Have each person write a definition of professional development. Share and discuss the individual definitions. Look for similarities and differences in perceptions. Reflect on how perceptions compare to current activities at the school. Seek agreement on a shared definition.
This indicator is related to the School culture and organization nourishing a culture of reflection and collaborative inquiry section of the Next Steps resources.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.2
Based on your own experience or impressions, please indicate how accurately each statement describes the situation in your school:
- Q39D: Most of my school's professional development programs deal with issues specific to the needs and concerns of the school's students and staff.
- Q39E: School administrators and teachers work together to identify professional development needs.
- Q39F: School administrators and teachers work together to plan and deliver professional development experiences.
- Q39G: School administrators encourage participants to share what they have learned from professional development activities.
- Q39H: Teachers and other school staff in my school are continuously learning and seeking new ideas to improve instruction.
Based on your own experiences or impressions, please indicate how accurately each statement describes your school's TEACHERS
- Q6C: Teachers design instructional programs together.