Indicator 1.4 – Eastern Middle School - DEMO
School operates under the assumption that all students can learn.
The MetLife Survey of the American Teacher 2001 (www.nea.org/nr/nr011002.html), which explores educators' opinions about their school environment, found that teachers in heavily minority and low-income schools generally hold lower expectations for students than teachers in high-income schools. The survey also found that there is a gap in expectations between elementary and secondary school levels.
This indicator looks at members of the school staff — their perceptions about and expectations for the academic success of all students.
- What indications do you have that the staff is either committed to or ambivalent about the education of every student?
- What actions can education employees take to ensure that the curriculum is tailored to address individual needs of students?
- In a meeting of all the school's stakeholders, discuss how your school measures up on expectations for all students. Form study teams to research individual needs of students. Share the research with the staff, and in small groups. Work on plans to change attitudes as needed.
Survey Questions for Indicator 1.4 (modified August 2007)
Please use the following scale to indicate how accurately each statement describes the situation in your school.
- Q51A: Teachers at my school press all students to achieve academically.
- Q51B: Teachers at my school take the time to respond to students' individual needs.
- Q51G: Teachers at my school go out of their way to give extra help to struggling students.
- Q51H: Teachers at my school never give up on students who have hard time learning.
- Q51I: Teachers at my school help each other solve students' learning problems.
Please use the following scale to rate the importance of each of the following in assessing student progress in your target class.
- Q52B: Using curricula aligned with high standards for all students.
- Q52C: Using instructional strategies aligned with high standards for all students.
Please use the following scale to indicate your opinion of how important this condition may be related to your students' ability to succeed academically.
- Q53E: A teacher's attention to the unique learning needs of the student.