School Improvement – Eastern Middle School - DEMO
Standards-Based Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
Eastern Middle School - DEMO Run ID: 826
The Standards-Based Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Report is comprised of the following Keys Indicators
Indicator 1.2 Teachers, administrators and other school employees take responsibility for the achievement of challenging standards for all students.
Survey Questions for Indicator 1.2
- q2i – Teachers assume most of the responsibility when students fail.
- q3a – Set high standards for themselves
- q3b – Set high standards for students
- q3c – Implement state or district curriculum standards
- q3d – Implement state or district student assessment and performance standards
- q3e – Take responsibility for helping ALL students learn, not just those in their classroom
- q3f – Help maintain discipline in the entire school, not just in their classroom
Indicator 1.4 School operates under the assumption that all students can learn.
Survey Questions for Indicator 1.4
- q2k – Students bring attitudes and habits to class that greatly reduce their chances for academic success.
- q2l – Students' success or failure in learning is due primarily to factors beyond the school's control.
- q51a – Teachers at my school press all students to achieve academically.
- q51b – Teachers at my school take the time to respond to students' individual needs.
- q51g – Teachers at my school go out of their way to give extra help to struggling students.
- q51h – Teachers at my school never give up on students who have hard time learning.
- q51i – Teachers at my school help each other solve students' learning problems.
- q52b – Using curricula aligned with high standards for all students.
- q52c – Using instructional strategies aligned with high standards for all students.
- q53e – A teacher's attention to the unique learning needs of the student.
Indicator 2.5 Teachers discuss standards and approaches for curriculum and instruction.
Survey Questions for Indicator 2.5
- q10d – Development of new curriculum or changes in the curriculum
- q10e – Implementing district or state curriculum standards
- q10f – Implementing district or state student assessment and performance standards
Indicator 2.9 Teachers communicate regularly with each other about effective teaching and learning strategies.
Survey Questions for Indicator 2.9
- q6a – Teachers talk about instruction in the teachers' lounge, at faculty meetings, etc.
- q10a – What helps students learn best
- q10b – Teaching techniques
Indicator 3.1 Student assessment is used for decision making to improve learning.
Survey Questions for Indicator 3.1
- q13a – To modify the curriculum to address student needs
- q13b – To develop new programs or instructional strategies to address student needs
- q13c – To find out about the performance of specific subgroups of students
- q13d – To measure changes over time in the performance of individual students or subgroups
- q13e – To measure success of teaching strategies
Indicator 3.4 A variety of assessment techniques are used.
Survey Questions for Indicator 3.4
- q12a – Standardized tests
- q12b – Teacher-made tests
- q12c – Students' demonstration of their work
- q12d – Exhibition of students' work
- q12e – Student self-assessment
Indicator 3.5 School programs are consistent and coherent.
Survey Questions for Indicator 3.5
- q11b – We have so many different programs in my school that I can't keep track of them all.
- q11c – Many special programs come and go at my school.
Indicator 4.3 Teachers are prepared to use state or district curriculum assessment or performance standards.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.3
- q20a – Implement new methods of teaching.
- q20b – Implement state or district curriculum standards.
- q20c – Implement state or district assessment standards.
- q20d – Use student performance assessment techniques.
Indicator 4.9 Staff development is consistent, comprehensive, and related to practices in the school.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.9
- q40a – Have been sustained and coherently focused, rather than short-term and unrelated.
- q40b – Included enough time to think carefully about, try, and evaluate new ideas.
- q40c – Have been closely connected to my school's improvement plan.
- q40d – Included opportunities to work productively with other staff in my school.
Indicator 6.4 Curriculum includes attention to accuracy and detail.
Survey Questions for Indicator 6.4
- q31a – The students' ability to provide correct answers or representations of content.
- q31b – The students' ability to ask probing questions about subject matter and/or demonstrate reasoning.
- q31c – The students' ability to use proper conventions, formats, and procedures (e.g., grammar, outline format, spelling, computation steps, etc.)
- q31d – The students' ability to present work that is neat, organized, and carefully checked.
© Copyright 2002-2009 National Education Association