School Improvement – Eastern Middle School - DEMO
The School as a Learning Organization
Eastern Middle School - DEMO Run ID: 2788
The The School as a Learning Organization Report is comprised of the following Keys Indicators
Indicator 2.6 Teachers are involved in decisions about student learning.
Survey Questions for Indicator 2.6
- q7b – Determining the curriculum
- q7c – Determining books and other instructional materials used in classrooms
- q7d – Determining how students' progress is measured
- q7e – Determining the content of professional development programs
Indicator 2.7 Teachers are involved in decisions about school operations.
Survey Questions for Indicator 2.7
- q7f – Hiring new teachers and other professional personnel
- q7g – Hiring a new principal
- q7h – Deciding how discretionary school funds should be used
Indicator 2.8 Parents, community, and staff other than teachers are involved in decisions about school goals.
Survey Questions for Indicator 2.8
- q8a – School staff other than teachers
- q8b – Guardians and students
- q8c – Business and community representatives
Indicator 2.9 Teachers communicate regularly with each other about effective teaching and learning strategies.
Survey Questions for Indicator 2.9
- q6a – Teachers talk about instruction in the teachers' lounge, at faculty meetings, etc.
- q10a – What helps students learn best
- q10b – Teaching techniques
Indicator 4.1 Professional development has a direct, positive effect on teaching.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.1
- q40f – Have improved my understanding of curriculum standards.
- q40g – Have improved my understanding of student performance standards.
- q40h – Addressed the needs of the students in my classroom.
- q40i – Helped me understand my students better.
- q40j – Deepened my understanding of subject matter.
- q40k – Led me to make changes in my teaching.
- q40l – Helped me align my teaching with district or state standards.
Indicator 4.10 Opportunities are available for mentoring.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.10
- q19b – Being mentored by a teacher or other colleague in a formal relationship.
- q19c – Mentoring a teacher or other colleague in a formal relationship.
Indicator 4.11 Teachers have strong knowledge of their subject matter areas.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.11
- q6e – Teachers have strong knowledge of their subject-matter areas.
Indicator 4.2 School administrators and staff work together to provide relevant professional development experiences.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.2
- q39d – Most of my school's professional development programs deal with issues specific to the needs and concerns of the school's students and staff.
- q39e – School administrators and teachers work together to identify professional development needs.
- q39f – School administrators and teachers work together to plan and deliver professional development experiences.
- q39g – School administrators encourage participants to share what they have learned from professional development activities.
- q39h – Teachers and other school staff in my school are continuously learning and seeking new ideas to improve instruction.
Indicator 4.4 Classroom observations and constructive feedback from teachers and principal are included in professional development.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.4
- q21a – Receive useful feedback on your performance from other colleagues?
- q21b – Receive useful feedback on your performance from your principal?
- q21c – Visit other teachers' classrooms?
- q21d – Have other teachers observe your classroom?
- q21e – Have the principal observe your classroom?
Indicator 4.6 Teachers have regularly scheduled time to learn from one another.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.6
- q17 – How long is your typical regularly scheduled planning period with teachers or other colleagues?
- q17 – Less than 15 minutes
- q17 – 15 to 29 minutes
- q17 – 30 to 59 minutes
- q17 – 1 hour or more
- q18 – How often do you meet with teachers or other colleagues for your scheduled planning period?
- q18 – Less than once a week
- q18 – Once a week
- q18 – Twice a week
- q18 – 3 or 4 times a week
- q18 – 5 or more times a week
- q19a – Regularly scheduled collaboration with teachers or other colleagues, excluding meetings held for administrative purposes.
Indicator 4.7 Staff development opportunities are pursued through organized professional development activities within and outside the school.
Survey Questions for Indicator 4.7
- q38a – Participate in workshops or courses sponsored by your DISTRICT (excluding required in-services)?
- q38b – Participate in professional development activities organized by your SCHOOL?
- q38c – Participate in a network with others outside your school?
- q38d – Participate in professional development activities sponsored by an educational employees' union or association?
- q38e – Discuss curriculum and instruction matters with an outside professional group or organization?
Indicator 5.4 The school provides a safe environment for learning.
Survey Questions for Indicator 5.4
- q1g – My school has clear policies in place to provide a learning environment that is safe from crime and violence.
- q41d – A learning environment which is safe from crime and violence
- q41e – Library services
© Copyright 2002-2009 National Education Association